New publication from Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press titled, “Career Options for Biomedical Scientists”.
The majority of PhDs trained in biomedical sciences do not remain in academia. They are now presented with a broad variety of career options, including science journalism, publishing, science policy, patent law, and many more. This book examines the numerous different careers that scientists leaving the bench can pursue, from the perspectives of individuals who have successfully made the transition. In each case, the book sets out what the job involves and describes the qualifications and skills sets required.
1. Science Journalism and Writing
2. Medical Communications: The “Write” Career Path for You?
3. Science Publishing
4. Patent Law
5. Bench Science in Biotech/Pharma
6. Core Facility Management
Claire M. Brown
7. A Career at a Small Liberal Arts College
8. Leaving the Bench and Finding Your Foundation
John E. Spiro
9. Working for a Scientific Society
10. Academic Administration
11. Careers in Science and Grant Administration: View from the NIH
Marion Zatz and Sherry Dupere
12. At the Crossroads of Science and Society: Careers in Science Policy
Amy P. Patterson, Mary E. Groesch, Allan C. Shipp, Christopher J. Viggiani
13. A Career for Life Scientists in Management Consulting
14. Careers in New Ventures: Start-ups and Entrepreneurship