American Chemical Society
Career Development Resources
Develop leadership and on-the-job skills with continuing education courses.
Leadership Skills: Develop leadership and on-the-job skills with continuing education courses. The ACS Leadership Development System™ is your opportunity to learn essential skills to strengthen your competitive edge in today’s global economy. The suite of courses available provides you with an opportunity to take courses in a face-to-face setting as well as online (24/7).
Professional Education: In-Person and Online Short Courses. Stay current in today’s competitive marketplace! Both live and on-demand online courses to help fit your schedule and budget.
Scientific Learning Community: Sci-Mind. A learning community designed for the industry professional working in the global ‘chemistry enterprise’. It is not only relevant for the bench chemist but also for the established lab manager or program director.
- Ethical and Professional Guidelines:
- Academic Professional Guidelines
- Chemical Professional’s Code of Conduct
- Ethical Guidelines to Publication of Chemical Research
- Professional Employment Guidelines
- Scientific Insight and Integrity in Public Policy
Starting Your Business: A two-year pilot program that provides chemical entrepreneurs with affordable access to training and resources that foster the creation of new jobs for U.S.-based chemists.
- Entrepreneurial Training Program (ETP): The ACS has partnered with Kauffman Fasttrac® to offer a training program that stimulates innovation and entrepreneurship. The program offers the TechVenture™ curriculum that corresponds to the needs of ACS members at different stages of their entrepreneurial plan.
- Entrepreneurial Resources Center (ERC): The ERC has been designed to cultivate new strategic partnerships and make existing ACS resources more accessible to members in order to advance entrepreneurship and create new job opportunities throughout the chemical enterprise.
Looking for your first job? Making a career transition? Creating a new resume or honing your interviewing skills? The ACS online Career Consultant Program (CCP) offers personalized consulting to help you succeed, wherever you may be in your career.
If you’re looking for a job—it’s easy to fall into the trap of applying for any and every job opportunity that comes your way. More often than not, this wastes an enormous amount of time and can be both frustrating and demoralizing.
Finding the right job requires focus. Creating a job search plan helps you to evaluate your skills, values, and interests and match them with open positions in your field. Moreover, a good job search plan ensures that you have everything ready and in place to stand out from the crowd and make an outstanding impression on any prospective employer.
Putting together an effective job search plan requires 4 basic steps:
- Finding Your Pathway
- Working in Higher Education
- Working in Industry
- Working in Government
The American Chemical Society is dedicated to providing Members and Affiliates with the best tools with which to explore the numerous career options available within the World of Chemistry. Start on your journey to finding out what other chemists do:
- Careers in Chemistry
- Career Profiles